Thursday, October 18, 2007

Football Star of the Future, Found Years Ago

Regular season football coverage is winding down. Some of you are looking forward to having your evenings and Sunday’s back. Some of you are battling for the playoffs with aspirations to play football at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida with a shot at a National Championship.

In 2000 I worked for newspaper that sent me down to Florida to cover a couple teams that were playing on the grandest stage in youth football. That year it was the Newington Knights…who have kept their name in the national spotlight ever since, and the New Britain Raiders. In between all my scheduled coverage I took notice of a running back that reminded me of Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson. This kid was fast…like 4.6 fast. I mean he was quicker than most of the high school running backs I photographed on Saturday’s and he was 12 years old. He broke tackles like he was lathered in baby oil and made of stone. It wasn’t fair. Right there I knew this kid would be in the NFL. His only downside was that he fumbled the ball…a lot. I’d say that was the only reason why his team from Cape Coral, Florida didn’t win the title.

Who is this football player I speak of? Not yet. I’ve watched his highlights on the internet throughout his high school career and he has continued to impress me…and the nation. I’m saying it right now that this kid will win the Heisman Trophy at least once in his college career. Then he’ll go on to be successful in the NFL and become a household name.

His name…Noel Devine. He’s a freshman at West Virginia. Right now he’s behind two veteran Junior speedsters Pat White and Steve Slaton. So far this year he has 32 carries for 316 yards and 3 touchdowns….with 0 fumbles. For those of you that have never been to “The Rent”, you may want to consider grabbing some tickets next year when West Virginia comes to town. This kid is special! Keep an eye out for him.

1 comment:

FunnyGal KAT said...

Oh, how neat that you spotted his talent when he was just a kid! I do sometimes wonder what happened to some of the people I met while working for the paper. There were definitely some of them who I pegged for greatness (and many others who I figured would run into trouble... but enough about that).
Perhaps you should consider a side job as a scout?