Monday, August 13, 2007

Saving the best for second-to-last

Covering the Eastern Region Little League tournament is something I look forward to every year. It showcases some of the best youth baseball in the country and with that usually comes the highest emotions from game competition. Until last night, the games I've covered for PA have been less than exciting with little or no emotion shown on the field. Maybe it's because these kids know they are moving on and they are saving their energy for Williamsport. Maybe it's because they have been winning all year and they take the Barry Sanders approach to the game, "Act like you've been there before".

As a photographer, I usually leave Breen Field with a camera full of peak action and high emotion. Until yesterday it just wasn't there. No close plays at any bases, no celebration during or after their wins. Myself along with other photographers covering the games can't believe the lack of "action" on the field. That changed yesterday.

For the first time in a while I set up a remote camera to cover action at home plate. What this means it that I put one of my cameras on a tripod (there are other ways to secure them) with a remote triggering device attached. I can be a couple hundred feet away and fire the camera with a remote switch. Since I was planning on shooting from the first base side, it gave me coverage of home plate from both sides. I arrived about an hour early to set this up and run my tests. Everything was operating perfectly....until the game started and I really needed it.

The bottom of the sixth inning ended (the score was tied) and I decided to make the 100 yard sprint with camera and 300mm lens in tow from the first base well around the back of the field, around the press box, past the first base bleachers and into the photo well to check on my camera. Struggling to collect my breath I found that the camera hadn't fired all game. Boy was I mad. I was sure to have a few shots from the remote camera since there was finally action at home plate. Nope, nada, zilch, no pictures. "Well", I said, "there is nothing I can do about it now." So I put it out of my head and focused on the game. I'm a true believer in things happening for a reason.

PA had the lead 3-1 going into the top of the sixth inning. PA had to change pitchers because of the new pitch count rule in affect with little league baseball. NJ managed to get two base runners on and the following batter jacked a 3-run homerun to take the lead. The NJ bleachers erupted and the momentum was with the boys from Randolph, NJ. Northampton, PA was cool at the plate in the bottom of the frame and was able to score the tying run on consecutive hits. PA tried to end the game sending their less than speedy base runner home on a base hit but was thrown out by about 10 feet.

The race was off to check my remote camera......

With two outs in the bottom of the seventh, PA's utility second baseman Dylan Cochran worked a walk to keep the inning alive. Lead off hitter Zachary Fitzgerald, who has been clutch all tournament long, stepped up to the plate in what would be the biggest at-bat of his life. He drove a fastball out of the park for a 2-run walk off homerun to send his team into the finals against Maryland, a nationally televised game on ESPN, tonight at 8pm.

Fitzgerald rounded first base with both hands in air. As he rounded second, he couldn't hold back the smile pumping his fist in the air. Heading home he was greeted by 12 uncontrollable teammates, 3 confident and relieved coaches and a rocking first base bleacher section that could be heard throughout the Giamatti Complex. I had goosebumps! I knew that moment would change the lives of these kids forever. It's hard to explain what I feel, but this is what I live for. Photography allows me to capture moments just like this over and over again. It's what drives me to get better at what I do. I feel like I have the greatest job in the world. These images never would have happened if I didn't have to check that remote camera. Being in the first base photo well put me in perfect position to capture this moment, one that a lot of people in Northampton will never forget! I know I won't.

Visit our website to see photos from the game.
http://www.curtisimaging.com/

1 comment:

FunnyGal KAT said...

Well said! If your career as a photographer doesn't work out, you'd make a great reporter! (Not that I don't think your career will work out, but it's good to know you have options, right?)

Glad serendipity was on your side this time, putting you where you needed to be to get the shot. The photos look great!